Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What's Cooking Calla? Loaded Potato Cheese Soup and Garlic Knots!

So I had made promises to get this recipe up asap and of course since I pulled the leftovers out of the freezer today for dinner I figured good a time as any to make due on the promise. The first time I tried to make a loaded potato soup it came out very bland and a bit rough around the edges. This one had both my husband and I very thrilled, it is super filling, and he was just over the moon about the garlic knots!

Let's start with showing you the finished product this is my personal bowl of soup with toppings and the plate of garlic knots! I made 10 and we ate 9 lol. 

Ingredients (Some are not shown but will be noted..I added them in as choices after I started throwing stuff in to the crock pot.)


1 30oz bag of julienne style hash browns- Ore Ida was my pick
1 (2 cup bag) of Triple Cheddar Cheese- Kraft
1 large container of chicken broth (I think it's 30oz)
1 can condensed cream of chicken
1 can of water from the cream of chicken can
1/2 an onion
1/4 tsp black pepper
Regular cream cheese (must not be low fat it will not melt right!)
Sour Cream
Bacon Bits
(I also added in another type of cheese for toppings and cheddar french fried onion)

Step one: Layer in the crock pot the hash browns  bag of cheese, chicken broth, can of creamed chicken, fill that can up and and one refill of it as water, chop up the onion and put half of it in the soup mix, about 1/2 tsp pepper, close lid and set on low. 

I usually stir if about every 2 hours, no real need in most cases but if I am home I do it. 
Should cook on low for 6-7hrs
Step two: ONE HOUR before you plan to eat it put the cream cheese in a separate container, ladle over 2-3 spoonfuls of soup to the cream cheese and whip it up (this helps melt it so it does not end up in chunks in the soup)- Pour it back into the crock pot and stir. 

15-20 minutes before serving dinner get ready to make your garlic knots!

Ingredients:
1 (5ct biscuit can from Grands) you can do more if you want!
Olive Oil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
2 tsp Garlic (I used minced from a jar to have extra power!)
3 tbsp Grated Parmesan cheese- I used powdered as I did not have fresh

Step three: Put all the dry ingredients in to the bowl first and then pour and stir in olive oil until it forms a paste. 



Step four: I took 1 (5ct container) of Grands home style biscuits and separated the layers to make 10. 
On a cutting board lightly powder it with flour. 
Roll each piece into a long strip and tie it in a knot as shown in photo. 

Step five: Depending on the package of biscuits you got, preheat the oven to the temp it states on the package. Once preheated place the naked biscuits in to the oven for about 8-10 minutes where they are not finished baking but a bit firmer. 

Step six: Pull them out and using a marinating brush coat each one with the sauce you made. 

If you choose to you can also add on some cheese on top! 
Step seven: Slide them back in to the oven and bake until golden on all sides and sauce looked dried on top. 

At this point your soup should look like this in the crock pot


Once your biscuits are done they should look like this


I topped my soup with some cheese (regular cheddar not shown in photos), bacon bits, sour cream, and the French's french fried cheddar onions (not shown in photos)

The soup freezes very well for leftovers! The biscuits if you do not finish them off you can store them in the fridge for up to 2 days and microwave for about 20-30 seconds to be warm enough to dip in your soup!

I would say it makes about 6-8 heaping servings of soup as I had 2 bowls and the hubby had 1 and I used two medium containers and one small one to store the leftovers. I honestly would say the most time consuming parts of this were rolling out the biscuits (a whopping five minutes) and slicing the onion (a time stealing full minute) haha

So I did accomplish two new recipes for the month! (Actually three when I post the next one lol) This is perfect for a chilly night to cuddle up and watch a movie!

XOXO






No comments:

Post a Comment